Saturday, April 1, 2017

Ghost in the Shell

Last night I saw Ghost in the Shell, the other major release this weekend (for the record, I categorically refuse to see Boss Baby).  Let me say at the outset that I have not seen the iconic anime classic upon which this new film is based so I have nothing to which to compare it.  I have to judge this film on its own merits and on that basis I think it is pretty spectacular!  In a terrifying future, most humans have been cybernetically enhanced but Hanka Robotics has created a technological breakthrough by implanting a human brain into a mechanical shell named Mira Killian (Scarlett Johansson).  She is programmed to be a counter terrorism operative and achieves the rank of Major.  When several Hanka scientists are killed, Major discovers that a hacker who has connections to her past life is responsible.  To be sure, when all is said and done, it is basically a police procedural but the visuals and special effects are absolutely incredible.  I was completely immersed in this world, a pan-Asian city with giant holographic billboards, and the action sequences are amazing, especially an assassination using robotic geishas and an invisible fight in a lagoon.  Scarlett Johansson gives a great performance with a steely-eyed stare and an almost mechanical walk and I also enjoyed Juliette Binoche as the scientist who crated Major and Pilou Asbaek as another operative.  I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and I recommend it, although fans of the original might make negative comparisons.

Note:  I saw this film in IMAX 3D and, for once, I highly recommend paying extra to see it in this format!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...