Sunday, April 9, 2017

Your Name

I know next to nothing about Japanese anime so I didn't really know what to expect when I went to see Your Name yesterday.  What happened is that I absolutely loved it!  In fact, it is one of the best films I have ever seen!  Mitsuha is a young girl living in a rural and traditional village in the mountains.  She is very dissatisfied with her life and longs for the day when she can graduate and move to the big city.  One day she wakes up in the body of Taki, a high school boy in Tokyo and he wakes up in her body (it is very amusing for them to discover that they are a different sex).  This keeps happening intermittently and it takes them a while to assimilate into each other's world.  When they both realize what is happening they begin leaving each other notes for when they return to their own bodies.  They also begin affecting each other's lives in positive ways, especially when Mitsuha makes a date for Taki with the girl he likes.  Eventually, they stop switching with each other and Taki starts to miss Mitsuha.  He tries to contact her and when that fails he decides to look for her.  Then there is an incredible twist to the story which I didn't expect but found to be very emotionally satisfying.  I cared about these characters so much and it is such a beautiful story about fate and the connections we have with people including people that we haven't even met yet.  I laughed out loud many times and I cried during several scenes.  The animation is beautiful, especially scenes that take place during the golden hour.  It is a lovely film and I can't say enough about it.  I definitely recommend it, particularly to people who have never seen an anime film before.

Note:  I saw this film dubbed in English but I already have plans to see it in Japanese with English subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...