Friday, May 19, 2017

Alien: Covenant

I walked into the theater last night with a little bit of trepidation.  I love the 1979 classic Alien because it scared me (I actually screamed out loud while watching it on TV) but I didn't especially like the 2012 installment Prometheus because it confused me and left too many questions unanswered.  Alien: Covenant skillfully combines elements from both movies and it was better than I expected.   Ten years after the events of Prometheus (and eighteen years before the events of Alien) a spaceship is traveling to the remote planet Origae-6 with thousands of colonists in stasis when the ship is damaged by a flare.  A synthetic android named Walter (Michael Fassbender) wakes up the crew but the captain is killed in the incident.  After the ship is stabilized, the crew picks up a radio transmission from a planet compatible with life that is much closer than Origae-6.  Acting Captain Oram (Billy Crudup) makes the decision to make a detour to the planet to investigate against the objections of Daniels (Katherine Waterston).  As they explore the planet, two crewmembers are "infected" with a spore resulting in aliens exploding from their chests which attack the rest of the crew.  They are rescued by the android David (Michael Fassbender) who has been living on the planet since the events of Prometheus.  There are scenes which expand upon the mythology of Prometheus but it ultimately becomes an intense, exciting, and bloody chase as the expendable crewmembers succumb one by one to the aliens until an epic confrontation aboard the ship.  Fassbender gives a brilliant performance as both of the androids because he imbues each character with subtle differences and some of the best scenes in the movie feature interactions between the two.  I'm not a huge fan of Waterston but she also delivers in this role.  The scenery on the planet is incredible (It was filmed at Milford Sound in New Zealand just weeks before I visited).  I liked the special effects with the aliens and the score is very effective at conveying a mood of terror.  It has flaws (there are still a lot of unanswered questions) but I think it is the best movie since the original and I definitely recommend it to fans of the franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...