Saturday, May 13, 2017

The Circle

I am so glad it is the weekend!  It has been a rough couple of weeks because I've been trying to tie up some loose ends with student government before I turn everything over to the new advisor and I've been trying to motivate seniors who have completely shut down.  I need a weekend to recharge my batteries!  What I love most about the weekend is sleeping in late, reading until the wee hours of the morning, and seeing as many movies as I can.  This weekend started off with a late night screening of The Circle with my sister.  We both really wanted to see this movie because the premise seemed really intriguing.  Mae Holland (Emma Watson) is hired by an internet company called The Circle through a recommendation by a college friend (Karen Gillan) and soon catches the eye of founder Eamon Bailey (Tom Hanks) who recruits her for a new project called SeeChange.  Basically, Mae must wear a camera at all times and be transparent to the world about everything she sees and does.  She is warned by Ty Lafitte (John Boyega), the creator of SeeChange who now has reservations about how the data gleaned from the constant monitoring will be used.  At first I was completely engrossed in this movie and I enjoyed watching Mae get sucked in by the charismatic leader.  But then the message about privacy and limiting freedom got completely muddled by some giant plot holes and a bewildering ending.  What was Bailey's motivation for what he was doing in the Circle?  What was he hiding while forcing everyone around him to be transparent?  What was it that Mae exposed when she forced him to become transparent?  What happened to Bailey and the company after Mae exposed him?  What were her true feelings about transparency?  Why did her friend suddenly become disillusioned with the company?  Why did Ty lurk about in the shadows of the campus waiting for someone else to blow the whistle when he had all of the evidence needed to expose Bailey?  There is almost no character development in this movie and neither my sister nor I even understood what happened at the end.  Watson is fine in the role and Hanks gives a great performance as the cult-like leader but most of the other actors are terrible, especially Glenne Headly as Mae's mother.  This is not a very good movie and we were both pretty disappointed because it had so much potential but it was just what I needed to decompress after a long week.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...