Wednesday, June 28, 2017

My Neighbor Totoro

I think my friend is trying to turn me into an anime fan because she invited me to see My Neighbor Totoro with her on Monday night (she also recommended Your Name which is quite possibly my favorite movie of the year).  Her plan may be working because I absolutely loved this adorable film, so much so that I am considering seeing the rest of the films in the Studio Ghibli Festival.  My Neighbor Totoro is an imaginative look at the childhood of two sisters who have moved from the city to the country to be nearer to their mother who is recovering in the hospital from a long illness.  The younger sister, Mei, is left to play on her own outside where she meets an otherworldly woodland creature that only she can see.  Eventually both of the girls have fantastical adventures with this creature and it ultimately rescues Mei when she gets lost.  The animation is beautiful with every frame reminding me of a watercolor painting; the characters are endearing and I especially loved the relationship between the sisters and the nanny reminded me of a neighbor I had when I was young; and the story is magical, portraying the innocence of childhood as it once was.  I had a smile on my face during the entire film and I especially loved the scene where the girls give Totoro their umbrella.  I loved literally everything about this film and I definitely recommend it for everyone, especially children.  Go here for more information about the Studio Ghibli Fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...