Thursday, August 24, 2017

Depeche Mode at USANA

Last night Depeche Mode brought their Global Spirit Tour to the USANA Amphitheatre and it was a fantastic concert.  Depeche Mode was one of my favorite bands in high school so I try to see them whenever they come to SLC.  My inner fifteen year old was so excited!  They played quite a few songs from their latest album, Spirit, including "Going Backwards," "So Much Love," "Cover Me," "Poison Heart," and the anthem "Where's the Revolution" which had the audience singing along with fists in the air.  Of course, I really loved it when they played the hits because these songs brought back so many memories for me!  I sang every single word to "Barrel of a Gun," "In Your Room," "World in My Eyes," "A Question of Lust," "Everything Counts," Stripped," and "Enjoy the Silence."  Whenever I see a band in concert there is always one song, usually an obscure one, that I hope they will play.  I was hoping that Depeche Mode would play "Blasphemous Rumours" but I wasn't too upset that they didn't play it because it is pretty depressing.  I think my favorite moment was when they played "Everything Counts."  I remember listening to the live album 101 on the bus to and from debate meets in high school and on one particular night, when we had a long way to travel back home, we all sang "Eveything Counts" at the top of our lungs.  The band had the audience sing an extended version of the chorus and it gave me goosebumps because I remembered that night long ago!  They ended their set with "Never Let Me Down" which featured another extended chorus with audience participation.  For the encore, they did an acoustic version of "Somebody" and the audience sang every word!  Sigh!  They continued with "Walking in My Shoes," a really amazing cover of David Bowie's "Heroes," "I Feel You," and "Personal Jesus."  The stage was pretty cool because it had a giant screen with a platform so Dave Gahan could strut in front of it and he can certainly strut!  He gave a very energetic performance and I found him just as appealing as I did when I was fifteen!  This concert was so much fun!

Note:  A big fight broke out in my row!  This guy just started punching the guy next to me for seemingly no reason.  He clipped my shoulder when they guy next to me tried to get out of the way!  Security came and they removed several people involved.  It was really scary but what irritated me most was that all of this commotion happened during the song "In Your Room" which is one of my favorites!

3 comments:

  1. I was right next to you after the guy that was punched and his wife left! I posted this on Facebook for a little more context about it:I witnessed a fight tonight, in the middle of the Depeche Mode concert, where one man stepped in to help stop a domestic argument. The woman, was cowering at the foot of her husband, apologizing profusely for letting her cell phone die, making it hard for him to find her at the show. She sobbed, "Please don't hurt me!" The male was screaming at her, pushing her, asking her where she had been. The man next to me stepped over and said that they needed to take it down a notch, or take it outside, as his wife who was a Sheriff had just left to get help. The enraged male pushed the other guy's forehead with his palm, then moved over right in front of me and began pummeling him in the head with closed fists at least 5 times; a cut over his eye began to bleed. Then, the guy took off running.Police/security arrived and removed the people involved, and began searching for the runner. After about 30 minutes, the wife returned to get seats to gather her things. She was keeping her head down, and trying to leave unnoticed. I reached out my hand to her, and asked if she was ok. Immediately, she began apologizing that anyone got hurt, taking the blame herself,excu sing his behavior. I asked if he abuses her, the stream of tears running down her face were the only answer I needed. I encouraged her to seek help, and to get out of the relationship. It was so shocking to see the dynamic at play, right in front of me.

    I found a link to the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition, I hope she sees this:
    Utah Domestic Violence Coalition
    Utah Domestic Violence Coalition (UDVC) – the nationally recognized state domestic violence coalition in Utah – is committed to creating a state where domestic and sexual violence are intolerable.
    udvc.org

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the context! I really had no idea what was going on and it was truly frightening to see it come from out of nowhere from my perspective.

      Delete
  2. I was hoping for People are People...but overall, it was a great show, despite the drama!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...