Saturday, October 7, 2017

Battle of the Sexes

While Battle of the Sexes is a crowd-pleasing biopic about about the iconic tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs in 1973, it is also a powerful statement about equality between the sexes and the right to be who you are and love who you want.  That is what had me cheering!  I was a child in the 1970s so I never had to experience the chauvinism and condescension that so many women faced back then (there are a few scenes in this movie that were incredulous to me, especially when Bill Pullman's character spoke, because I can't imagine men actually speaking to women that way).  For that I am profoundly grateful to pioneers like Billie Jean King who advocated for women's rights.  King (Emma Stone), wanting to bring attention to the disparity between male and female tennis players, agrees to an exhibition match against a former champion player, Bobby Riggs (Steve Carell).  In addition, each of them are fighting other battles off the court.  King is conducting a passionate affair with her hairdresser (Andrea Riseborough) which she feels the need to hide and Riggs is a man past his prime fighting for relevance with a controlling wife (Elisabeth Shue).  Really, this film is not about a tennis match but rather the journey that each athlete takes to get there.  The script is much more emotional than I was expecting and I think King's sexuality is handled with intelligence and sensitivity (although a few people walked out of my screening after a sex scene).  Stone gives another wonderful performance, almost disappearing into the role.  Carell is perfect as the goofy and frenetic Riggs and I found him to be a sympathetic character rather than the villain portrayed in the trailers.  I also, rather surprisingly, really enjoyed Sarah Silverman's brassy portrayal of a tennis promoter but I thought Alan Cummings was a bit wasted as a designer of tennis dresses (did he really have to accompany the women on tour to dress them?) and only exists to give a moving speech at the end of the movie about LGBTQ rights.  Finally, I enjoyed the 1970s verisimilitude in this movie and I laughed out loud when I heard "Crimson and Clover" playing in a bar scene!  I recommend this movie, not just as a feel-good sports story, but for its powerful message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...