Saturday, December 16, 2017

The Last Jedi

After the beautiful Christmas concert with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir I went home and changed into some slightly less formal attire and went to my local Megaplex for a midnight screening of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.  The theater was absolutely packed!  Many were in costume and all were excited for the latest installment in the Star Wars Saga.  Cheers and applause greeted the iconic John Williams fanfare and the opening crawl and I have to admit that I was caught up in the excitement myself!  Despite a few flaws, I loved this movie so much!  The Resistance is on the run, being pursued by the First Order, while Rey (Daisy Ridley) tries to convince a reluctant Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) to return.  Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac), Finn (John Boyega), and Rose (Kelly Marie Tran) try to figure out a way to stop the First Order's pursuit and Rey begins learning the ways of the Force and must contend with an unsettling connection with Kylo Ren (Adam Driver).  This movie is much darker in tone and is more complex than The Force Awakens and many of the characters are developed more fully.  I loved the character arc of Luke from the first trilogy to this movie, especially in terms of what it means to be a Jedi and what it means to possess the Force.  He has a wonderful scene near the end with Leia (Carrie Fisher) that will leave you gutted and I loved his scenes with Rey.  I loved the conflict within both Kylo Ren and Rey between the light and the dark and there is a truly epic lightsaber battle in Snoke's throne room.  My favorite character from The Force Awakens has always been Kylo Ren and I was happy to see more revelations about his backstory, especially his relationship with Luke (Driver gives a brilliant performance as a villain haunted by his own actions).  I also loved the new character Rose because her story arc brings up some questions that are incredibly thought-provoking, and, of course, the porgs are absolutely adorable in their interactions with Chewbacca.  Having said that, some of the characters don't really have a lot to do.  Chewbacca, C-3P0, General Hux (Domhnall Gleeson), and, to some extent, Leia (because of the creation of the Vice Admiral Holdo character, played by Laura Dern) seem to exist merely for other characters to play off of them (although many of General Hux's scenes are hilarious).  My biggest complaint, however, is with the portrayal of Supreme Leader Snoke.  I thought he was much more menacing when he was a hologram in The Force Awakens and I would have liked more backstory for him.  My complaints are very, very minor and, overall, I loved this movie!  I loved the experience of watching it because the visuals are stunning, especially the aerial dogfights between the Resistance and the First Order in the opening sequence and the awesome AT-AT Walkers in the final battle, and I loved the use of red throughout.  I think most fans of the franchise will be very happy with this installment.  Go see it on the biggest screen possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...