Saturday, December 9, 2017

The Lower Lights 2017

Last night I continued a tradition that I started several years ago by seeing the Lower Lights in concert and it just made me so happy!  I really love listening to Christmas music played live and the Lower Lights concert is one of my favorites.  The Lower Lights are a super group of 22 insanely talented musicians and vocalists, many of whom are famous in their own rights, who have a distinct folk-gospel sound and have an incredible rapport with one another on stage that is palpable to the audience.  Last night they performed quite a few of their gospel songs which turned Kingsbury Hall into a raucous revival tent.  Some of my favorites were "Old Time Religion," "Down to the River to Pray," "Go Tell It On The Mountain," and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."  Of course, I especially loved all of the Christmas music, especially "Still, Still Still" and "Bring a Torch Jeanette, Isabella" because I sang those songs in choir when I was in college.  Hearing them always brings back so many memories.  I was also really impressed with a beautiful instrumental version of "What Child Is This?" featuring a guitar, steel guitar, mandolin, fiddle, and bass.  It gave me goosebumps!  Some of the other Christmas songs in the setlist included "I Saw Three Ships," "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful," "Away in a Manger," "White Christmas," "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing," "Silver Bells," "Mary's Lullaby," "The Holly and the Ivy," "A Cradle in Bethlehem," "Mary's Boy Child," and "In the Bleak Midwinter."  For the encore they performed "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" and a beautiful a cappella rendition of "Silent Night" with the audience.  It was so lovely!  I really love this tradition and I walked out of Kingsbury Hall with a big smile on my fave.  The Lower Lights will perform one more concert tonight and I highly recommend getting a ticket (if there are any to be had!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...