Thursday, June 14, 2018

The Incredibles Double Feature

Last night I had the chance to see a double feature of The Incredibles, a favorite of mine, and the new movie Incredibles 2 on an IMAX screen!  It was so much fun!  I love the first movie so much but, incredibly, I've never seen it on the big screen before so this was such a treat.  I think it holds up really well and I loved the character of Edna as much as ever!  The new movie is everything that I hoped it would be!  It picks up exactly where The Incredibles left off with our family of superheroes facing the Underminer (John Ratzenberger).  They ultimately defeat him but leave a swathe of damage in their wake which, because superheroes are illegal, lands them in trouble.  Winston Deaver (Bob Odenkirk), the CEO of a telecommunications company, and his sister Evelyn (Catherine Keener) have a plan to reinstate the superheroes which involves Elastigirl (Holly Hunter).  She battles a new villain called Screenslaver (Bill Wise) while Mr. Incredible (Craig T. Nielson) takes over at home.  Violet (Sarah Vowell) has boy troubles, Dash (Huck Milner) has math trouble, and Jack Jack (who steals the show) has trouble controlling his newfound powers (which prompts a hilarious visit to Edna for a new suit).  I really enjoyed this role reversal which provided a lot of comedic moments that made me laugh out loud.  I think this movie does a great job at developing the characters to their natural progression from the first movie and their arcs are interesting and compelling.  The family dynamic rings true and, in addition to providing lots of laughs, there are a few really poignant moments that give this movie a lot of heart.  The action is almost non-stop and it is so much fun!  The images are look so good on the screen and the animation is some of the best I've ever seen.  The story is a bit predictable with a plot twist that I saw coming early on but that did not in any way detract from my tremendous enjoyment of this movie.  I loved it and I highly recommend it for just about everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...