Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Time for Three at the Waterfall

Last night my friend Angela and I had the opportunity to attend another outdoor concert, this time at the Waterfall Amphitheater at Thanksgiving Point.  It was another concert featuring the Utah Symphony with special guests Time for Three, a string trio made up of Ranaan Meyer, Charles Yang, and Nicolas Kendall.  I saw Time for Three several years ago at Red Butte Garden and I loved their performance so much that I knew I wanted to see them again.  All three of them are classically trained musicians but they come across more like rock stars.  They are known for their mash-ups of classical pieces with contemporary music and this concert was absolutely brilliant!  The Utah Symphony began with "The Star-Spangled Banner" and then Time for Three took the stage with a medley from Hamilton.  Obviously I absolutely loved that!  Then they played three pieces which were written specifically for them, "Vertigo," "Banjo Love," and "Darling Calypso." and I enjoyed all of them.  Then they played a mash-up of "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles and "Lacrymosa" from Mozart's Requiem.  This was absolutely amazing and I was pretty much overcome by it.  Before the intermission they did another mash-up, this time it was Saint-Saens' "Organ Symphony" with "Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve which I also really loved.  After the intermission they played yet another mash-up with "Sweet Child O Mine" by Guns N' Roses and selections from Kindertotenlieder by Gustav Mahler.  This was so lovely and atmospheric. They then played a beautiful rendition of "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen and concluded the concert with "Songs of Joy" which was an epic arrangement.  As an encore the orchestra played "Stars and Stripes Forever" by John Philip Sousa.  I enjoyed this concert so much.  The Waterfall Amphitheater is such a lovely venue with beautiful gardens all around and the temperature was just perfect for a concert with a slight breeze.  After the concert there was a fireworks show behind the waterfall which was quite festive and got me excited for the Fourth of July!  The perfect ending to a wonderful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...