Saturday, September 1, 2018

Operation Finale

My Dad once joked that I would read any book that had a swastika on the cover!  This is because I have such a huge interest in World War II (not because I am a Nazi!).  I guess this is true about movies as well because once I saw the swastika on the movie poster for Operation Finale I wanted to see it!  Fifteen years after the end of World War II, the Mossad gets information that Adolf Eichmann (Ben Kingsley), the notorious architect of Hitler's Final Solution, has been living in Argentina under an assumed name.  The Israelis decide to send a team led by Peter Malkin (Oscar Isaac), an agent tormented by the death of his sister during the Holocaust, to capture him and bring him to Israel to stand trial but they are violating the sovereignty of Argentina so they must use stealth.  They go to great lengths to capture Eichmann in secret but his glasses are accidentally left behind which alerts the Argentinian government.  It then becomes a race against time to get Eichmann out of the country.  The story gets really bogged down in the first act and I found it difficult to keep the characters straight and follow what was going on.  However, the final act is filled with tension and is incredibly compelling.  Both Kingsley and Isaac give outstanding performances, especially when the two interact with each other in an intense psychological show-down.  I also really enjoyed the dramatic score.  Alexandre Desplat is becoming my favorite film composer.  In short, this movie is a fairly standard biopic but I would recommend it for the two central performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...