Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Nun

I really have no idea what possessed me (ha ha) to see The Nun last night!  I haven't seen any of the other movies in The Conjuring universe and it is rare that I can be genuinely scared by a horror movie so I usually avoid them.  However, the trailer for The Nun looked promising and, now that I have seen it, I have to say that I was initially really freaked out by the disturbing image of a demonic nun.  After a young nun commits suicide in an abbey in a remote area in Romania, the Vatican sends Father Burke (Demian Bichir), a priest tormented by an exorcism performed on a young boy during World War II that went horribly wrong, to investigate.  Because the abbey is cloistered, the Vatican also sends Sister Irene (Taissa Farmiga), a novitiate who sees visions, to help him gain access.  As they are haunted by a demonic presence that appears in the guise of a nun, they discover that the abbey was once a castle built in the Middle Ages and that the Duke who built it used Satanic rituals to open a portal to Hell within its walls.  Crusaders used the blood of Christ to close the portal and consecrated the castle for use as an abbey.  The portal was opened once again when it was bombed during World War II and the nuns must keep a constant vigil of prayer to contain the evil.  Father Burke, Sister Irene, and a local farmer (Jonas Bloquet) must face an ultimate showdown with the evil nun to close to portal once again.  The beginning of this movie is incredibly atmospheric with a castle shrouded in mist, long creepy halls lit only by lanterns or candles, nuns who appear and disappear, and deep and disturbing chanting.  There is such a sense of foreboding that I was really on edge and, like I mentioned, I found the nun to be a terrifying figure, at least initially.  As the movie progressed, however, the presence of the nun became less and less scary because you see nuns on the screen so often.  You never really know if it is the demonic nun or just one of the nuns in the abbey.  The final resolution seems to go on forever and, eventually, I found it to be a bit tedious.  The plot becomes more and more convoluted and the character development hinted at in the exposition ends up going nowhere.  This movie begins with so much promise but, by the end, I was just wishing that it would end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...