Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Smashing Pumpkins at the Vivint Arena

The last time I saw The Smashing Pumpkins, I was in the pit at the Great Saltair and it was absolutely epic!  I was considerably younger then.  Last night when The Smashing Pumpkins made a stop at the Vivint Arena, I may have been sitting in a comfortable chair but the concert was no less epic!  Not only did they play for over three hours but they dug deep into their vast catalog and played every one of my favorite songs and then some!  To begin with Billy Corgan took the stage alone for a haunting rendition of "Disarm" and then, when the rest of the band joined him, they played every song I wanted to hear (which is very rare):  "Rhinoceros," my favorite Pumpkins song, "Siva," "Drown," "Zero," "Eye," "The Everlasting Gaze," "Stand Inside Your Love," "Landslide," "Tonight, Tonight," "Cherub Rock," "1979," "Ava Adore," "Today," and "Bullet With Butterfly Wings."  They played covers of David Bowie's "Space Oddity" and Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven," both of which were fantastic.  They also threw in "Rocket," "Thirty-Three," a psychedelic version of "Soma," "Blew Away," "For Martha," "To Sheila," "Mayonaise," "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans," "Try, Try, Try," "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning," "Hummer," and "Muzzle" for good measure.  I loved it!  Every song featured a dazzling light show and visuals ranging from religious iconography to showgirls in Busby Berkeley type productions.  Corgan was in rare form with multiple costumes that were shiny and oh so bright!  This concert is definitely in my top ten of all time even though I did leave before the encore (it was almost midnight!).  I'm clearly not the same girl who danced in the pit over 20 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...