Monday, November 26, 2018

A Snowy Avalanche Trip

I have been watching hockey with my Dad for as long as I can remember and we are huge fans of the Colorado Avalanche.  We try to see at least one, sometimes two, games in Denver every season and last year we went over Thanksgiving weekend.  Since the weather was nice and the roads were clear then we decided to go once again over Thanksgiving break.  However, this year a huge winter storm decided to hit the mountain states!  It was snowing really hard when we started driving Saturday morning and it took us over two hours to get to Evanston.  Then I-80 was closed when we got there due to heavy winter conditions.  We had to sit there for over two hours before they opened the road again which was a lot of fun.  I usually drive from Little America to Cheyenne but the conditions were so bad that my Dad ended up driving the whole way to Denver which was a good thing because I don't like driving in the snow.  One section was so bad, it was foggy and the snow was blowing on the road, that I thought we wouldn't make it!  We finally made it to our hotel and I had just enough time to change into my jersey before we had to head to the Pepsi Center.  The Avalanche played the Dallas Stars, who are a division rival, and it was an awesome game.  Nathan MacKinnon scored the first goal for the Avalanche in the second period with assists by Gabriel Landeskog and Mikka Rantanen.  These three players are not only the Avalanche top line but they lead the NHL in points and they are so much fun to watch (my favorite player is Rantanen).  Then the Stars scored two goals with less than five minutes left in the third period and it kind of deflated the atmosphere in the Pepsi Center.  Quite a few people even left but you should never leave a game until its over, especially an Avalanche game.  J.T. Compher got a goal with an amazing wrist shot and less than a minute later Rantanen got a beautiful goal!  The energy was incredible!  The Stars pulled their goalie but it wasn't enough and the Avalanche ended up winning 3-2.  This game was so much fun it made all of the hassle of getting there worth it!  We drove home yesterday and the driving conditions were a little better but there were a few sketchy spots.  Even with all of the snow I'm so glad that my Dad and I were able to go on this road trip because we always have so much fun!

Note:  My Dad consented to listen to my Queen playlist on the drive and I think I’ve turned him into a fan!  He loves the song “Radio Ga Ga.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...