Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street at PTC

I have never seen the musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street before (or the movie version, either) but, since I am a huge fan of Stephen Sondheim, I have been looking forward to Pioneer Theatre's production for a long time!  I finally had the chance to see it last night and it is incredible!  It is one of the darkest musicals I've ever seen so, of course, I loved it!  Sweeney Todd (Kevin Earley) is a Victorian-era barber who has just returned to London after 15 years of exile in Australia.  When he learns the fate of his wife and daughter, he immediately wants to get revenge on Judge Turpin (Joe Dellger), the man who ruined his life.  He goes back to his former rooms above the pie shop run by Mrs. Lovett (Anne Tolpegin) to discover that she has kept all of his barbering tools.  He decides to set up shop and lure the judge in for a shave so he can slit his throat.  However, the judge eludes him and he vows vengeance on the whole human race.  He begins to kill all of his customers and Mrs. Lovett uses the bodies in her meat pies!  Eventually, his quest for revenge turns to madness.  As with all Stephen Sondheim musicals, the music is absolutely brilliant and the songs have an almost operatic quality. Both Earley and Tolpegin have fantastic voices and really bring these despicable characters to life in a way that is both comedic and tragic.  I especially enjoyed Tolpegin's renditions of "The Worst Pies in London" and "By The Sea" and I laughed out loud when the two of them sang "A Little Priest."  I also really liked "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" and all of its many reprises sung by the ensemble because the various Londoners reminded me a bit of a Greek chorus.  The set is amazing with two rusted cogwheels in the center of the stage to represent the industrialization of London.  I also loved the barber chair which sent Sweeney's victims to the bakehouse in the basement.  The use of fog and lighting added much to the spooky atmosphere and the special effects, especially all of the blood as Sweeney slit his victim's throats, were great.  The show is gruesome but it is so much fun and I highly recommend it (go here for tickets).

Note:  If you have a rush pass plan to get there early.  The line was one of the longest I've seen for a PTC show!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...