Saturday, January 5, 2019

A New Year's Celebration

What better way to ring in the new year than by attending a concert with the Utah Symphony!  Last night (I will resume my winter break movie commentaries tomorrow) my friend Angela and I spent a wonderful evening listening to the orchestra play six dazzling pieces under the baton of guest conductor Xian Zhang (who was quite expressive and fun to watch).  They began with Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 1 by Joan Tower which was quite dramatic because the only musicians on stage were the horns, brass, and percussion.  I really enjoyed the timpani at the end of the piece!  Next came selections from The Sleeping Beauty by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky which, of course, I absolutely loved.  I really enjoyed the Lilac Fairy's theme (which represents good) and Carabosse's theme (which represents evil) and how they are continually reintroduced as the two of them struggle with each other.  Next, the orchestra played Concerto No. 1 for Violin and Orchestra by Karol Szymanowski with Concertmaster Madeline Adkins as soloist.  I was unfamiliar with this piece but it was quite spectacular!  I was very impressed with Adkins because she not only played with great technical precision but she interpreted the piece with a lot of emotion.  It was a brilliant performance!  After the intermission, the orchestra played a waltz and a polka by Johann Strauss, Jr. and I pictured couples twirling at a New Year's Eve Ball in Vienna during these pieces.  They were so lively and exuberant!  The concert concluded with the Suite from Der Rosenkavalier by Richard Strauss.  This was simply delightful and I especially enjoyed the themes played by the oboe.  It was an amazing night of music and I definitely recommend getting a ticket for tonight's performance of the same program (go here).

Note:  After the performance, I was invited to an after party at the BTG wine bar downtown and Angela came with me.  This is not something I would normally do but it was really quite fun.  I actually mingled with a few people and got to talk to the conductor very briefly (she is adorable).  There were hors d'oevres, desserts, and several different wines served and I felt very sophisticated (I even wore a dress!) partying with the Utah Symphony!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...