Sunday, January 6, 2019

Mary Queen of Scots

I have always had a fascination with Scotland in general (my grandmother was born in Scotland and my great-grandfather fought with the Gordon Highlanders in World War I) and Mary Stuart in particular (I chose her as a research topic in my AP European history class) so I have been eagerly awaiting the release of Mary Queen of Scots for quite some time.  It was next in my winter break movie marathon and I actually really liked it.  After Mary Stuart (Saoirse Ronan) is widowed, she returns to Scotland to rule despite the objections of her half brother, the Earl of Moray (James McArdle), who has ruled as regent in her absence and of John Knox (David Tennant), a Protestant cleric who objects to her Catholicism.  She then makes a disastrous marriage to Lord Darnley (Jack Lowden) who ultimately betrays her.  When she is forced to abdicate the throne, she is left to the mercy of Queen Elizabeth I (Margot Robbie) who is envious of her beauty, bravery, and motherhood.  Elizabeth, acting on the advice of her male counselors, including William Cecil (Guy Pearce), eventually condemns her.  There are historical inaccuracies and it is a bit salacious but I really enjoyed this movie.  The narrative is framed by the fact that even though both women dislike being told what to do by the men surrounding them they are very much controlled by them and, if left to their own devices, they might have been friends and allies.  I found this to be very effective.  Both Ronan and Robbie give outstanding performances as the capricious and sometimes foolish Mary and the insecure yet imperious Elizabeth, respectively.  My favorite scene is a very theatrical meeting between the two of them, which probably didn't actually happen, where they size each other up.  It is masterful.  As with most historical dramas, the sets, production design, and costumes are beautiful and I enjoyed the juxtaposition between the darkness of Mary's court and the lightness of Elizabeth's.  I am probably biased by my interest in Mary Stuart but I would recommend this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...