Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Rocky Horror Show at PTC

It's just a jump to the left...and I was transported back in time to my high school theatre days when we were all collectively obsessed with the cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  I remember one late night play rehearsal when we all climbed up to the catwalk and performed "Time Warp."  Good times!  It was a time warp, indeed, last night when I saw the concert version of The Rocky Horror Show at Pioneer Theatre.  PTC has started including limited-engagement concert versions of musicals as add-ons to season tickets and I have been waiting for this show with much ANTICI.....say it.....PATION since the 2014-2015 season was announced!  The production was scaled back with a minimal set and the cast performed the musical numbers as a concert (they even held their scripts) with a bit of  dazzling choreography.   The band on stage was absolutely amazing and the cast was fabulous!  Frank 'N' Furter was played by Tony Vincent (of The Voice) and he was absolutely perfect as the sweet transvestite.  I loved watching his facial expressions!  The narrator was played by Jim Dabakis, a Utah state senator.  He got some of the biggest laughs of the night with the line: "Oh, I see there are a lot of Republicans here tonight!"  (Many people were dressed rather outrageously).  Speaking of outrageous,  I loved the naughty costumes! Frank 'N' Furter's boots were epic.  I remembered the words to all of the songs, when to use each prop (prop bags were available for $5.00), and many of the talk back lines.  It was so much fun...maybe not as rowdy as the screenings at the Blue Mouse back in the day but it was a strange journey, nonetheless!  I loved reliving a bit of my misspent youth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...