Sunday, February 17, 2019

My Fair Lady with the Utah Symphony

Last night the Utah Symphony performed a concert version of the stage musical My Fair Lady.  They were joined by Broadway stars Peter Scolari as Professor Henry Higgins (I saw him as the Wizard in Wicked on Broadway), Susan Derry as Eliza Doolittle, Jeff Mattsey as Alfred P. Doolittle, Charlie Tingen as Freddy Eynsford-Hill, and Michelle McConnell and Cree Carrico as the female ensemble.  In a concert setting there is minimal dialogue, limited choreography, and only a few costume changes so the music is allowed to shine.  The orchestra and the performers did an amazing job of bringing the story to life with their interpretation of the score.  Derry has a beautiful voice and I especially enjoyed her renditions of "Just You Wait" and "I Could Have Danced All Night." I also really liked her performance of "The Rain in Spain" with Scolari and I was very moved by his heartfelt version of "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face."  Finally, I loved Tingen's performance of "On the Street Where You Live" which is my favorite song in the show because I think it is so romantic.  The entire evening was just loverly!

Note:  I've heard a rumor that the Utah Symphony will be performing the musical Singin' in the Rain in concert next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...