Saturday, June 15, 2019

Men in Black: International

Last night I went to see Men in Black: International.  I only remember seeing the first movie in the franchise but I really enjoyed the pairing of Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson in Thor: Ragnarok so I thought this would be a lot of fun.  Twenty years earlier, a couple who sees an alien in the back yard is neuralyzed (their memories of the alien are erased) but their daughter Molly is missed and becomes obsessed with finding the Men in Black.  Now an adult, Molly (Thompson) tracks down the organization and impresses Agent O (Emma Thompson) enough to be taken on as a probationary agent named M and sent to the London branch.  High T (Liam Neeson), the head of the London branch, pairs her with H (Hemsworth), one of the top agents who helped T keep an alien collective known as the Hive from reaching Earth but is now lackadaisical and reckless.  Agents H and M, with a little help from an alien pawn (Kumail Nanjiani), must now stop the Hive from acquiring a powerful weapon and uncover a mole who has infiltrated the Men in Black.  The story is incredibly predictable and I figured out the plot twist way before it actually happened.  I also thought that some of the CGI with the aliens and in some of the action sequences is very obvious and a little bit distracting.  Having said that, I still had a lot of fun watching this movie.  Hemsworth and Thompson are both very charismatic and have a lot of chemistry with each other.  They also have great comedic timing and I found myself laughing out loud quite a bit.  I really enjoyed Emma Thompson as Agent O (I wish she had a bigger role) and Rebecca Ferguson is absolutely hilarious as an alien arms dealer and ex-girlfriend of Agent H.  Much like this movie, I would recommend Men in Black: International to fans of light summer blockbusters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...