Sunday, June 30, 2019

Paul McCartney in Las Vegas

The first time I saw Paul McCartney in concert was in Las Vegas for the Driving World Tour at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in April of 2002.  I spontaneously bought a ticket and then completely freaked out about what I had just done (this was before driving hundreds of miles just to attend a concert became standard operating procedure for me) but it was definitely a bucket list item!  I was completely overwhelmed hearing all of the songs that I had listened to all of my life performed by a legend!  I have seen Paul McCartney several more times since that momentous occasion and I still get completely overwhelmed because I love him so much!  Last night I had the opportunity to see him in Las Vegas once again, this time at the T-Mobile Arena.  It was an absolutely amazing show!  He played for over three hours and included songs from the Beatles, Wings, and his solo albums including his latest, Egypt Station.  I really loved all of the Beatles songs, including "Hard Days Night," "All My Loving," "Got to Get You Into My Life," "I've Got a Feeling," "I've Just Seen a Face," "From Me to You," "Love Me Do," "Blackbird" (my favorite Beatles song), "Lady Madonna," "Eleanor Rigby," "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite," "Something," "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da," "Back in the U.S.S.R.," and "Let It Be."  I sang every single word and I was thrilled that he played some songs that I had never heard performed live before!  My favorite Wings songs were "Let Me Roll It," "Let 'Em In," "Band on the Run," and "Live and Let Die" complete with spectacular pyrotechnics!  He dedicated "My Valentine" to his wife Nancy who was in the audience and sang an incredibly emotional version of "Here Today" which he dedicated to John Lennon.  My favorite moment came early in the set when he played "Maybe I'm Amazed."  I love this song so much and watching Rusty Anderson play the guitar solo just about did me in!  He ended his set with a rousing version of "Hey Jude."  As soon as the stage hands brought out his psychedelic piano I knew what was coming and it was awesome, especially the audience participation on "Na Na Na Na..."  For the encore he played "I Saw Her Standing There," "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)," "Helter Skelter," and a  fabulous rendition of "Golden Slumbers," "Carry That Weight," and "The End."  Paul McCartney is a captivating performer and his interactions with the crowd were so genuine.  He acted like he was playing these songs for the first time and was having the time of his life!  I can't even describe how much I loved this concert and I will probably be on a high from it for days.  I know that it is crazy to drive six hours just for a concert but I am so glad that I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...