Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Queen + Adam Lambert in Phoenix

When my madness over the movie Bohemian Rhapsody was at its apex, I found out that Queen + Adam Lambert would be touring this summer!  I actually deliberated about getting a ticket for a little while because I knew it wouldn't be the same without Freddie Mercury but I ultimately decided to see them in Phoenix (the city closest to me) because I knew I would love hearing these songs played live!  I am so glad that I did because the concert last night was absolutely epic!  The show began with "Now I'm Here," "Seven Seas of Rhye," "Keep Yourself Alive," "Hammer to Fall," and "Killer Queen" one after the other.  Then Adam Lambert, who was absolutely fantastic, told us that he was clearly not Freddie Mercury and that nobody could take his place but he would do the best he could to honor him and the music he created.  The audience went crazy and they were with him the rest of the night!  He was in full diva mode, wearing a gold suit and black ruffled blouse (the first of six outfits), saying that he might not be Freddie Mercury but he was definitely a queen!  He then sang "Don't Stop Me Now" which got the arena rocking!  Then he gave an incredible vocal performance for both "Somebody to Love" and "The Show Must Go On."  The latter gave me goosebumps!  Next Roger Taylor sang "I'm in Love With My Car" (It's a metaphor Brian!).  Adam returned to the stage in leather from head to toe on a motorcycle to sing "Bicycle Race" then sang "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Radio Ga Ga" with lots of audience participation with the claps!  One of my favorite moments of the evening happened when Brian May went to the end of the catwalk and played an acoustic version of "Love of My Life."  The audience held up the lights on their phones and sang along so it was very reminiscent of a scene in the movie.  It was simply magical!  Then he sang "'39" and was joined by Roger and Adam for "Doing All Right" with a lovely three-part harmony!  Adam sang "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and was joined by Roger for "Under Pressure" and then sang "I Want to Break Free."  Another favorite moment was during "Who Wants to Live Forever" because Adam sang it so beautifully that I had tears in my eyes!  Brian stood on a giant platform behind a screen which looked like a meteor surrounded by floating planets (he has a PhD in astrophysics) to play a guitar solo featuring Dvorak's New World Symphony.  It was amazing!  Adam came back to sing "Tie Your Mother Down" and then "Dragon Attack."  I was so excited that they played "Dragon Attack" because I had forgotten how much I used to love that song back in the day!  They finished their set with "Another One Bites the Dust," "I Want It All," and a very theatrical version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" which just about did me in!  Before the encore,  a video of Freddie leading the crowd through "Ay-Oh" during Queen's Wembley concert in 1986 appeared on the screen and we all joined in!  Of course they played "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" during the encore and they took their bows while "God Save the Queen" played!  This is a concert that I don't think I will ever forget and I am so glad I decided to get a ticket!  Even though it was a ten hour drive from SLC to Phoenix, it was definitely worth it!

Note:  I've driven to Phoenix just to see a concert once before but next time I think I'll fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...