Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella at HCT

I am not a big fan of the Rodgers & Hammerstein version of Cinderella (I much prefer the Disney version) but I was actually looking forward to HCT's production because I knew the sets and costumes would be amazing. I saw the show last night and I was definitely not disappointed. In fact, I was absolutely enchanted by this magical production! The updated version of the story turns Cinderella (Shae Robins) into a social reformer who must rescue Prince Topher (Preston Taylor) from the evil Lord Protector Sebastian (B. J. Whimpey) who is deceiving him about the conditions in his kingdom. Her Fairy Godmother (Michelle Blake) tells her that she has the power to make her own dreams come true and her stepsisters Gabrielle (Rachel Bigler) and Charlotte (Kristi Curtis) eventually become sympathetic conspirators. I understand that this update is to make the story more appealing to a modern audience but when I saw the Broadway touring production a few years ago I yearned for the classic fairy tale. I missed the romance and the magic. However, director Dave Tinney managed to infuse the magic back into the contemporary story for a show that is a must-see! First of all, this is one of the strongest casts that I have ever seen at Hale Theatre! I was especially impressed with Robins as Cinderella and Blake as the Fairy Godmother. Since this is the Rodgers & Hammerstein version, the songs require an impressive range and these actresses are absolutely brilliant, especially in the songs "In My Own Little Corner," "Impossible," "Glass Slipper/ It's Possible," and "There Is Music In You." The choreography is dazzling and I particularly liked the staging of "A Prince Is Giving A Ball/ Now Is The Time" because it involves multiple levels and props and "Ten Minutes Ago" because the dance between Cinderella and her prince is so romantic. The sets are absolutely gorgeous, with elements coming up from the pit, down from the rafters, and in from the wings. I think my favorites are the wisteria covered gazebo used in the wedding scene and the palace steps at the stroke of midnight. The costumes are amazing. Of course Cinderella's ball gown is every little girl's dream come true but all of the ball gowns are sparkling and the Fairy Godmother's dress is also beautiful. Finally, the special effects are incredible! I was completely immersed in this production and I almost believed that the transformation scene involved actual magic! There are LED lights all around the theatre that are programmed to blink on and off whenever the Fairy Godfather waves her magic wand and the effect is spectacular!  I was literally giggling out loud and the little girl sitting near me squealed with delight! The transformation of the fox and raccoon into the coachman and footman is so clever and that of the pumpkin into a coach is so much fun (the coach is spectacular). Cinderella's change into her ball gown happened so quickly I couldn't believe what I was seeing! It is simply one of the best productions I've seen at Hale Theatre and I highly recommend it, especially for children who will be captivated by what they are seeing (even if the story is different from what they are used to). Cinderella runs on the Main Stage until September 7 and tickets may be purchased here (but you better get them before the clock strikes twelve).

Note:  Don't forget Freaky Friday which is on the Jewel Box Stage until August 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...