Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Theory of Everything

On Sunday night Eddie Redmayne won the Golden Globe for his performance in The Theory of Everything.  I absolutely had to see this movie because, while I actually really love Eddie Redmayne (I went to Les Miserables seven times in the theater just so I could see that tear fall down Redmayne's face as he sang "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables"), I did not believe it was possible for an actor to have a better performance than Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing in The Imitation Game.  I saw The Theory of Everything last night and I thought it was an absolutely beautiful film.  It tells the true story of world-renowned theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking (Redmayne) and his relationship with his wife, Jane (Felicity Jones).  It begins when they are both Ph.D. candidates at Cambridge in 1963 and spans nearly 25 years from his diagnosis with a motor neuron disease to the publication of his book, A Brief History of Time.  The cinematography is absolutely luminous and the softly diffused light is used to great advantage against backdrops in and around St. John's College, Cambridge.  I particularly loved the lighting in the May Ball scenes, especially the spectacular fireworks.  Eddie Redmayne does give an amazing performance!  I was very impressed with his physicality in this role, especially when Hawking's muscles first begin to deteriorate.  The way he holds his head, writes on a chalkboard, and walks, almost pigeon-toed, are all incredibly effective at portraying his diminishing capacity.  My attention never wavered from him whenever he was on screen.  Felicity Jones also gives an incredible performance as do the other supporting actors.  I loved the movie and I would highly recommend it.  

Note:  Clearly the members of the Academy are not asking for my opinion about who should receive an Oscar, but if they did I would have to go with Benedict Cumberbatch.  Full marks to Redmayne for physically inhabiting Hawking but, in my opinion (and many will disagree), Cumberbatch gives a much more emotionally complex, almost visceral, portrayal of Turing.  His character is arrogant, antisocial, eccentric, and much less sympathetic than the endearing Hawking but Cumberbatch moved me to tears.  I haven't been able to stop thinking about The Imitation Game since I saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...