Thursday, July 18, 2019

Detour to the Grand Canyon

Yesterday I decided to take the scenic route home from Phoenix which, ironically, is actually faster than driving on the freeway through Las Vegas.  I found myself on Highway 89 on the way to Page, Arizona when I started seeing signs for the Grand Canyon.  Even though I was really tired (I was too keyed up from the concert the night before to go to sleep) and eager to get home, I spontaneously took the exit to go to the South Rim!  I spent a little more than an hour there and I only visited the viewpoints near the East entrance (I knew from experience that they wouldn't be as crowded as other areas) but it was pretty spectacular!
The pictures don't really do justice to how amazing the canyon really is!  It is quite awe-inspiring!  Even though it added about two hours to the drive home, I'm really glad I decided to visit the Grand Canyon.  Unexpected detours like this are one of the reasons I love taking road trips!

Note:  My last visit to the Grand Canyon was not as pleasant.  Apparently, I used quite a bit of profanity while dealing with the large crowds and lack of parking (or so my nephew tells me frequently!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...