Sunday, June 1, 2014

Germany

In the summer of 2008 I was able to go on a historical tour of Germany.  I majored in history in college (I have a double major in history and English) so this was an amazing trip.  Here are some highlights.
"Checkpoint Charlie" in Berlin (used for crossing from West Berlin to East Berlin during the Cold War)
Some pictures from the East Gallery of the Berlin Wall (all that remains of the wall)
Reichstag, Berlin
Brandenburg Gate, Berlin
Holocaust Memorial, Berlin
Sans Souci, Frederick the Great's private retreat, Potsdam
Me at Sans Souci, Potsdam
Cecilienhof (site of the Potsdam Conference between Chamberlain, Truman, and Stalin at the end of World War II), Potsdam
Zwinger Palace (completely rebuilt after the Allied bombings in 1945), Dresden
Nymphenburg Palace, Bavaria
Marienplatz, Munich
Glockenspiel, Munich
Another view of the Marienplatz, Munich
One of the many illustrated houses (I believe this is Hansel and Gretl), Oberammergau (where the world famous Passion Play is staged every ten years)
Neuschwanstein Castle (the inspiration for Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle), Bavaria
Another view of Neuschwanstein, Bavaria
Main gate to the concentration camp Dachau, near Munich ("Arbeit Macht Frei" means "Work Makes You Free")  A very somber place to visit but I'm glad I did.

I fell in love with the city of Berlin because it is such an up-and-coming place for the youth of Europe.  Very hip and artistic!  My hotel was on Kurferstendamm Street (or Ku'damm as they say in Berlin) which had some incredible night life!  I loved wandering around (my favorite thing to do when I travel is to walk for hours and get lost in a city).  I would definitely love to visit Berlin again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...