Sunday, June 22, 2014

Italy

When Pope John Paul II died in April of 2005, I was completely obsessed and I watched almost continuous coverage of his funeral and the conclave to elect a new pope.  I was fascinated by Vatican City and St. Peter's Basilica.  So I was beyond excited when I had the opportunity to visit Italy that summer.  Here are the highlights.
Grand Canal, Venice, Italy
View from a gondola ride, Venice, Italy
Rialto Bridge, Venice, Italy
Doge's Palace, Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Basilica, Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Square (Cafe Florian has the best gelato ever), Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Square with St. Mark's Basilica and the Campanile, Venice, Italy
Duomo, Florence, Italy
Baptistery Doors on the Duomo, Florence, Italy
Attempting to get an amusing photo at the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Italy
Trevi Fountain, Rome, Italy
St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City
Inside St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City
St. Peter's Square, Vatican City
Pompeii (hot but fascinating place), Italy
Various views of the Colosseum, Rome, Italy
Inside the Colosseum, Rome, Italy
Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy
Triumphal Arch (Did you know that they are everywhere, not just Paris?), Rome, Italy

My tour guide asked me what my favorite city was and I told her Paris.  She then told me that after this trip my favorite city would be Rome.  Nope.  I love Paris.  But I feel like I didn't give Rome a fair shake.  I was only there three days and I spent one whole day at the Vatican and another whole day at Pompeii.  By the time I went sightseeing in Rome I was hot and exhausted.  After touring the Colosseum, I went back to my hotel for a nap in the air conditioning.  I have never done that before!  For my last night in Rome I took a cab here.
Luckily I threw a coin in the Trevi Fountain so, according to legend, I will be back!

Note:  These are the last of my digital pictures from my travels.  If you want to see pictures from the other trips I've taken since 1990, you will just have to come to my house and look at all of the scrapbooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...